Tuesday 7 May 2013

'So, what do you do for a living then?'

If you're anything like me (and if you are, you have my utmost respect and sympathy in equal measure), whenever you're asked this question you'll assess the audience before formulating an answer.

How much do they know about the mad world of marketing communications? Everything? A bit? Nothing? The outcome of this assessment, which probably takes a fraction of a second, will have a critical bearing on how the question is answered. 

They know everything

I run a promotional activation agency – we 'activate people' - get them to DO something, to try or to buy a product or service – for big blue-chip companies like McVitie's, Nestle, Batchelor's and Currys PC World.   

They know a bit

I run a marketing agency – we focus on getting people to DO stuff - to try or to buy a product or service – for big blue-chip companies like McVitie's, Nestle, Batchelor's and Currys PC World.   

They know nothing
I work in advertising.


This last invariably prompts a response around which is their favourite (and more often least favourite) TV ad 'of all time'. Guinness 'Surfer' comes up a lot. The gorilla – 'what was that all about??' they say. Michael Winner and e-Sure. Shake 'n' Vac (accompanied by song and dance).

They I get asked about my favourite ad. And I tell them about this one because it's the best and in my view hasn't been bettered:


A simple product truth brought to life in a dramatic, compelling and memorable way.

Add, 'that prompts an action' and that's what we all do for a living. 

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment